Hanover, PA, May 13, 2006 – The American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property (TFP) and its America Needs Fatima campaign are inviting concerned Catholics to join a petition against The Da Vinci Code. So far, the effort has garnered 100,946 signatures and steadily continues to gain steam.
“A growing number of Catholics are expressing their unequivocal rejection and disgust of the blasphemous Da Vinci Code film,” said America Needs Fatima director Robert Ritchie. “The more Hollywood mocks our faith, the more it demonstrates a brazen contempt for God.”
The petition addressed to Columbia Pictures states:
“I am deeply opposed to the showing of Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code as a movie. Please consider that millions of Catholics see this as Christ-bashing and insulting to the Catholic Church. The book, written as fiction, attacks all I hold sacred – the Divinity of Christ, the Gospel, the Papacy and the holy mysteries of my Faith.”
According to Mr. Ritchie, the American TFP is organizing 1,000 protests nationwide. “We are in touch with 950 volunteers, planning peaceful and legal prayer vigils in front of theaters when the movie opens on May 19,” he said. “Many more anti-blasphemy vigils are expected to follow for about a month.”
The second-highest ranking Vatican official at the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith, Archbishop Angelo Amato, reportedly encouraged organized protests against the blasphemous Da Vinci Code film during a conference in Rome.
Cardinal Francis Arinze also said Catholics have a duty to take practical measures against The Da Vinci Code.
“Catholics are frankly tired of seeing their dear Lord publicly slandered, vilified and blasphemed. I like to borrow Saint Jerome’s words – ‘even a dog barks to defend his master, how can we remain silent when God’s holy name is blasphemed?’” continued Mr. Ritchie. “We must not sleep as the Apostles did while Our Lord suffered in the Garden.